Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Subtle Pride


A.W. Tozer once wrote, "It is said that a horse after it has been led out of a burning building will sometimes by a strange obstinacy break loose from its rescuer and dash back into the building again to perish in the flame."  Old sin, the kind that is habitual, turns us all into terror stricken horses blind to the freedom given to them by strong and gentle hands holding the lead rope firmly amidst our bucking and neighing wildly.   A kind Master patting us reassuringly, whispering the truth.  

The kind of sin that sends me running back headlong into the flames is characterized mostly by their subtle pride.  Satan loves subtlety.  The "I can handle it" kind of subtle pride.  The subtlety that sounds an awful lot like my dear Heavenly Father's voice but is not, because the "on my own" is always there at the end of the subtlety.  In essence saying "I don't need You, God for this"  but often disguised as "I don't want to bother You, Lord, about this trivial thing."

How often have I run back into the burning barn rather than accept the freedom given to me?  Choking on smoke instead of breathing the fresh crisp air of a new dawn?  Oh Heavenly Father forgive me for my sin.  Help me hear Your Voice clearly and replace the "on my own" with "I can handle it only with You."  Thank You that You love us so much to run into the flaming barn to lead us to safety even after we have wrenched free of You and dashed back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment