Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent Series 101: History Of

Years ago I attended an Advent Workshop and it stuck.  It wasn't a foreign idea to me having grown up in a Lutheran Church.  I remember the lighting of the wreath every service and the special services mid-week.  I even remember the meaning of most of the candles, which is proof that God still does miracles in teenage girls.  But then I grew up and went to college and got married.  Advent became another empty tradition of the church until, that is, I had my first child.

That was when I heard about an Advent Workshop being held at our church and how it would teach us to use Advent as a tool to train up our children in the way of the Lord.  Okay, thought I, I am game, so I went.  And boy am I glad I did!  Almost 10 years later and I just finished facilitating my 6th Advent Workshop and Wreath Making Extravaganza using some of the original information with permission and lots of extras from people along the way who have shared how they keep Christ at the center of their Christmas.  

As the first in this month long series I am going to touch on some of the history of this traditional liturgical season and some of the symbolism found in it's accoutrements.  (More on symbolism in Advent Series 102: Meaning of) Be sure to check out my page regularly for ideas for each week of Advent.  I know I am starting a bit behind the 8 ball but don't worry, I won't keep you waiting too long.  I plan to have Advent Series 201:  Week 1 written and published later today!

Advent means arrival or coming depending on whose Latin translation you look at but either way you see it, Advent is a season of patience and preparation.  We wait for the arrival of the Christ at Christmas and we wait for His Second Coming.  I always tell my kids when they get a bit antsy, "You only have to wait 4 weeks, the Israelites waited 400 years!"  That usually quiets them down.  

This season of the church calendar started way back in the 4th or 5th century as a preparation for Epiphany. Epiphany occurs in January and focuses on various events in Jesus' life such as the visit of the Magi, His baptism and early miracles.  This was a time for new Christians to be baptized and welcomed into the church, while members of the church examined their hearts and focused on penance.  People observed the original 6 weeks of this season with fasting and it is recorded in early church documents that it was treated as a second Lent.  

Sometime in the 6th century in Rome the term Advent was first used and the focus shifted to the Second Coming of Christ.  Then, in the 9th century Advent took it's modern time frame of only 4 weeks and those all before Christmas.  During the middle ages - approximately the 16th century - an additional focus was added, the anticipation of the Christmas morning, the birth of Jesus.  

 No one is sure who first began using Advent as a means to teach families about Jesus but many attribute it to Martin Luther.  The custom of the Advent Wreath is a German custom and Luther is well known for developing ideas for teaching faith at home so it is plausible that he did use an established church season and a non-christian tradition for the education of families.

No comments:

Post a Comment