Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thankfulness

During the fall I set up a Tree of Thanks in the kitchen with plenty of paper leaves, markers, and tape close by.  It started when the kids were little when we wanted to grow in them a Thankful Heart.  Now the kids bug me until it is up.  It is a tradition that I am happy to foster in my kids.

Most of the time when we added leaves back then the item on the leaf was fairly standard.  Things you would expect a preschooler or elementary age kid to be thankful for.  But as they have aged we have put perimeters on what they could be thankful for on that given day.  For instance, one night we might say, "Think of a friend that you are thankful for so we can add them to our tree."  The next night we might say, "Think of a thing, not a person, that you are thankful for."  And so on.  Things that made the list as areas of thankfulness include:family members, something in nature, teachers, and places.  

Some of my favorite leaves over the years have been "forks" and "electricity".  Both in response to the "things" category and both equally surprising coming from my children who were at the time under the age of 8 and who have never done without either.  I am fond of forks and particularly thankful for electricity as well but never thought to thank God for those things.  I am so glad I have kids to help me remember the important stuff.

As the children have aged we started branching out in the category department.  This year we added "characteristic of God."  This is what the kids added:
"Guards our hearts and minds"
"Provider"
"Joy and Awesomeness"

God is so gracious to give me two of the most wonderful kids on the planet.  And to allow me to praise Him and thank Him right along side of them.  I think next week we are going to add "experiences" to our categories.  That should be interesting!

"Give thanks to the LORD for He is good!
His faithful love endures forever."
Psalm 136:1


No comments:

Post a Comment